Divorce comes to many marriages in time. You may have felt happy and content on your wedding day, but a lot can change in the years to come. You may appear successful and happy from the outside, making a great living and enjoying life, but your personal relationship may not reflect that.
If you’re curious about what red flags signal that a divorce is in your future, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- It’s problematic if you want to have a child and your spouse does not want to. This applies both to having a first child and expanding your family after you already have children.
- You face higher divorce odds if you got married young.
- Oddly, you may have higher divorce odds if you have two daughters than if you have two sons.
- Medical issues with children can also cause divorce, even if they are “minor” issues. For instance, parents who have children with ADHD have higher divorce odds.
- Testosterone levels also make a difference for men. Those with low testosterone have lower divorce odds than those with high testosterone levels.
- If you lived with a previous partner before getting married to your current spouse, you are much more likely to split up.
Of course, every marriage is different. This list of red flags just scratches the surface of the reasons that people decide to end their marriages. Even so, this can help you begin to understand the risks that you face and how likely you are to get divorced. Be sure you know what legal rights you have if you do end your marriage.