Toxic mold is something you need to watch out for whenever you’re buying a new piece of property. Toxic mold is dangerous to you, your family or your co-workers’ health.
As such, if you’re considering the purchase of a piece of real estate — whether it’s an office building or a home — consider having a toxic mold inspection performed to ensure that the home or building is safe.
What is toxic mold?
Toxic mold is exactly what it sounds like: Mold spores growing in a building that can be toxic for your health. Part of the mold problem is the result of modern homes and building having such excellent, airtight insulation against outside temperatures. This insulation, however, can make it harder for moisture to escape buildings and homes, leading to mold growth. As such, toxic mold can affect both old construction and new construction.
Here’s what to look out for when it comes to identifying mold growth in a potential real estate purchase:
— Visibly growing mold;
— Water stains and discoloration on walls and ceilings, both inside and outside;
— Any standing water and/or condensation found on window sills, walls or floors; and
— Musty, moldy odors found within the home or building.
Why is mold dangerous?
Toxic mold can cause a host of health problems in humans. These include allergic reactions, respiratory issues, flu-like symptom, irritated skin, headaches, asthma, fever, burning eyes and more.
If you suspect that a recently purchased property has mold in it, you may have a legal right to seek compensation in court. By speaking with a Texas real estate transaction lawyer, you can evaluate your circumstances to determine your legal rights and options.
Source: FindLaw, “Toxic Mold Overview,” accessed June 14, 2017